Shashi Weerawansa released on bail
Shashi Weerawansa, the wife of National Freedom Front (NFF) Leader Wimal Weerawansa was today (May 31) released on bail by Colombo Chief Magistrate’s Court.
Colombo Chief Magistrate Nandana Amarasinghe ordered Shashi Weerawansa to be released on a cash bail of Rs.50,000 with two sureties of Rs.5 million. The Court also issued an order preventing the accused from leaving the country.
On May 27, Shashi Weerawansa was sentenced to two years of rigorous imprisonment after she was found guilty of producing forged documents to obtain a diplomatic passport. She was also imposed a fine of Rs. 100,000.
Later, the attorneys representing Shashi Weerawansa filed an appeal challenging the prison sentence handed down to their client. They had also submitted a bail application requesting the court to release the client on bail until the conclusion of the hearing of the appeal.
The appeal and the bail applications were called before Colombo Magistrate’s Court yesterday. The bail application was fixed for consideration this morning.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023