Sri Lanka Freedom Party quit Government
The Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) has decided to quit as a government coalition and will sit independently in Parliament.
Former President Maithripala Sirisena will make a special announcement in Parliament tomorrow (April 05).
This was confirmed by SLFP member and State Minister Duminda Dissanayake to the media.
He said the parliamentary group of the party had convened a meeting today while the fourteen parliamentarians of the SLFP had decided to quit the government and act independently at tomorrow’s parliamentary session.
According to sources the SLFP met President Gotabaya Rajapaksa for urgent talks this afternoon (April 04) but discussions failed.
Meanwhile the state ministers Lasantha Alagiyawanna, Duminda Dissanayake and Priyankara Jayaratne have resigned from their respective ministerial portfolios.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Customs seizes Drugs worth over Rs. 60 Million December 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- Three Sri Lankans, including Ranish Hewage serving in the Ukraine Army killed in Russian attack December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023