Sri Lanka President’s Vesak Day message
Buddhists all over the world celebrate the Vesak Festival with much religious fervour and enthusiasm to commemorate the important events that took place in the life of Gauthama Buddha on this day, namely the birth of Siddhartha Gauthama, Siddharta Gauthama’s supreme attainment of Buddhahood and the Mahaparinibbana.
The Buddha’s teaching which reflects a great vision of a superior religious age and a humanitarian philosopher have an eternal appeal to the human civilization.
Siddhartha Gauthama, the Buddha, was born in a complex era where the Indian society, embraced various beliefs and religions. The religious orthodoxy had a strong impact on that society, which also had various divisions within. Women were considered as weak beings and they enjoyed limited rights in a male dominated society.
The Buddhist teaching demolished that traditional immoral ideals and myths prevailed in that society, which was rooted in ignorance and blindness, and moved forward with scientific thoughts.
The Buddha addressed the mindset of the people directly. The right of understanding the truth in our own mind after investigating the validity and truth was bestowed to ourselves by the Buddha.
Therefore, a spiritual human being emerged dispelling illusion and ignorance.
Buddha preached that a human becomes a worthless person or a great person, not by his birth, but only through his actions. This noble concept became a strong binding force of the entire humanity.
Bestrewing metta on minds of enmity with immense kindness and pure joy, Gauthama Buddha awaked the wisdom of human to show the absolution of existence and this blessed period of Vesak gives an ideal opportunity to recall the great teachings of the Noble One. I wish for a great Vaisakhya celebration for all the Buddhists around the world.
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
Hon President please make deliver this message on 29 May. Even Malwatta & Asgiri Maha Nayake’s haven accept this day! You can’t have Christmas on November 25!
Yes keep preaching, preaching because you don’t have anything better to do. Now about this 29 April and 29 May business. Are you going to appoint a commission to sort that our?