Sri Lanka received USD 160 million from World Bank – Prime Minister
The World Bank has provided US$ 160 million to Sri Lanka to pay for essentials, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe told the parliament today (May 18).
He said the funds received from the World Bank cannot be utilised to import fuel.
However, discussions are underway to consider if the funds could be used for petroleum purchases, PM Wickremesinghe added.
According to the Premier, Sri Lanka is also expecting a similar amount from the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023