Sri Lanka revokes Swiss journalist’s expulsion
News Source: AP
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka – An official says Sri Lanka’s president has revoked the expulsion of a Swiss radio journalist who asked a critical question at a government news conference. Karin Wenger, the South Asia correspondent for Radio DRS, had been ordered to leave the country by Monday.
A spokesman said Sunday that President Mahinda Rajapaksa told officials to revoke the expulsion order and allow Wenger to continue her work.
Wenger was accused of damaging Sri Lanka’s image by asking a critical question about last Tuesday’s presidential election, which Rajapaksa won. Critics have accused the government of manipulating the result.
International rights groups say the government is harassing local journalists and media that backed Rajapaksa’s opponent
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023