Sri Lanka to remove provincial letters from vehicle number plates
Posted in Local News
Provincial letters will be removed from vehicle number plates in Sri Lanka with effect from January 1, 2023.
Accordingly, provincial letters will be removed when a new vehicle is registered or transfer ownership of a vehicle.
The amendment to the vehicle number places was announced by the Commissioner General of Motor Traffic on Friday (December 30).
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023
It is meaningful to remove something meaningless. If the number plates are unique as they should be and held in an electronic database, there is no need to have a bit of information on the number plate. It serves nothing.