Sri Lankan Navy arrests 75 fishermen with 18 boats
A day after the repatriation of 140 Tamil Nadu fishermen with their 31 boats, the Sri Lankan Navy arrested as many as 75 fishermen with their 18 vessels on Wednesday night.
The fishermen from Rameswaram, Pudukottai, Thanjavur and Karaikal were fishing on the high seas, when the navy personnel from Talaimannar, Kankesanthurai, Kayts and Karainagar arrested them on the charge of poaching in the Sri Lankan waters, sources here said.
Those arrested included 25 fishermen from Rameswaram and 50 fishermen from Thanjavur, Pudukottai and Karaikal with 13 boats, the sources said adding the Rameswaram fishermen were detained in Talaimannar, while the others were at Kankesanthurai.
As the second round of talks between the representatives of Tamil Nadu fishermen and their Lankan counterparts to find a solution to the dispute over fishing in the Palk Bay scheduled to be held in Colombo on March 25, the fishermen are likely to be let off on Thursday, the sources said.
The arrest comes on the day when the Indian Coast Guard repatriated the remaining 32 fishermen. With this, the ICG completed the repatriation of all the 172 fishermen arrested since January 30 after the first round of talks on January 27 in Chennai, setting the stage for the second round of talks. (The Hindu)
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
This has become quite a lark. The Indan fishermen know they will be let off in a few days with their boats, so they don’t care, they’ll go on fishing the rich waters of SL as their own waters are depleted of most fish stock.
Why is TNA and the CM silent? It is their Tamil fishermen who are being robbed. They don’t want Big Mama to get angry with them if they were to raise a stink. GOSL must take a firm stand to safeguard our resources. It has no spine.