Sri Lanka’s apparel exports grow 3.06 pct in 2017
Sri Lanka’s apparel exports grew by 3.06 percent last year compared with that of 2016, the Industry and Commerce Ministry said on Thursday.
The ministry said the value of Sri Lanka’s total apparel exports reached a record high of 4.818 billion U.S. dollars last year from 4.67 billion U.S. dollars in 2016.
According to the ministry, 45 percent of Sri Lanka’s apparel products were exported to the United States and 42 percent to the markets in the European Union.
The ministry also said that two-thirds of Sri Lankan apparel workers were women currently, therefore it is the major industry supporting the country’s female labour force.
Apparel products account for more than half of Sri Lanka’s total exports.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023