Sri Lanka’s Local Government Election to be postponed?
Sri Lanka’s Election Commission Chairman Nimal Punchihewa has informed Party General Secretaries that it will not be possible to distribute postal vote ballot papers from tomorrow (February 15) due to financial issues.
Members of several political parties alleged that this was an indication that the local government elections might be postponed.
“We told him not to go back on his word given to the Supreme Court. He assured the Supreme Court that the local government election will be held as planned and we told him to keep his word,” Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) General Secretary Ranjit Madduma Bandara said.
Meanwhile, General Secretary of the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP), Sagara Kariyawasam says “We were informed earlier that the postal ballot papers will be distributed but in this discussion today, they said that postal ballot papers cannot be distributed tomorrow.”
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023