Station Masters suspend issuance of train tickets
The Railway Station Masters Association has suspended the issuance of train tickets from midnight yesterday (December 23).
Sumedha Somarathna, the President of the Railway Superintendents Union said only reservations for intercity express trains will be made in future.
Somarathna stated that the problems of railway superintendents haven’t been resolved as of yet, and the Transport Minister has not agreed to take steps to repair signal lights that are not functional.
These are the reasons, the Superintendents mentioned, are the reasons that they decided to stop freight services from midnight yesterday.
“We can’t issue tickets and create a situation where they have to travel without seats. If a solution isn’t provided, we will launch a continuous strike from midnight on the 26th as a mark of protest,” he added.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023