STEPHEN HARPER REITERATES HE WILL BOYCOTT SRI LANKA COMMONWEALTH SUMMIT
By Walter Jayawardhana
Prime Minister Stephen Harper reiterated January 18 he will be boycotting the Commonwealth heads of meeting to be held in Sri Lanka, the OMNI TV reported.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper is set to boycott the 2013 Commonwealth summit in Sri Lanka if the island state’s government does not improve human rights, according to a statement he made last week.
“I intend to make clear to my fellow leaders at the Commonwealth that if we do not see progress in Sri Lanka in terms of human rights and some of the issues that you raised, I will not as prime minister be attending that Commonwealth summit,” said Mr. Harper.
The Canadian Tamil Congress leaders welcomed the Prime Ministers statement.
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s official reserve assets increase by 26.2% in May June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka to process online applications for passports from June 15 June 7, 2023
- Sooriyawewa Pradeshiya Sabha secretary arrested for soliciting Rs.50,000 bribe June 7, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya and Bruno Divakara further remanded June 7, 2023
- MP Gajendrakumar Ponnambalam arrested in Colombo June 7, 2023
- Yohani de Silva gets ‘Golden Visa’ from Dubai June 7, 2023
Mr Harper most likely has better things to do at home than spending a week end in Sri Lanka.
What is the objective of the commonwealth club? I doubt if these summits has any serious agenda except to get to to know the faces.
If he is being serious about human rights he ought to have taken the leadership to have it debated and tabled resolutions to be debated and voted, and committees constituted to examine abuse and violation of human rights globally and how it is related to the commonwealth.
Canada, USA and Australia would not exists as is if not for the violation and abuse of human rights and and any threat to its survival will be justified by abuse of human rights and it is for this very reason that Canda participates in caolitions that engage in the abuse of human rights…..