Sugar prices cannot be increased, as Rupee has appreciated – State Minister
Finance State Minister Ranjith Siyambalapitiya told Parliament yesterday (May 09) that he has ordered the Trade and Investment Policy Department to provide him with a report on the sugar price increase in the market.
He said that there is no possibility for an increase in the price of sugar in a situation where the value of the Sri Lankan Rupee has appreciated against the US Dollar.
The State Minister said this while presenting the eight Orders under the Special Commodity Levy Act for Parliamentary approval.
The Minister also said that the price of wheat flour cannot be increased due to the imposition of the Value Added Tax (VAT) on wheat flour recently.
He pointed out that the value of the dollar in relation to the Rupee has dropped by 13 percent and the price of wheat flour in the world market has also dropped by about 15 percent.
Referring to the import of eggs, he said 4.5 million eggs have been imported to Sri Lanka from February 13,2023, to date.
He said that the government always levies taxes on imports with the aim of protecting the local farmer and businessmen and said that it is also trying to give incentives to the consumers.
(Source: Daily News – By Irangika Range and Ishara Mudugamuwa)
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023