Tax rates to be increased in Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka’s Finance Minister Ali Sabry said yesterday (April 29) his office had started initial consultations on the increase of fiscal revenue from the present 8.5 percent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) to 13-14 percent.
According to the Minister it is difficult to run a country with such a low tax revenue base as a percentage of the GDP.
“We have not made a final decision yet. But, we believe there should be a general tax increase,” he said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023