UK should be declared a ‘Country of Concern’ not Sri Lanka
When the country that had been occupying Sri Lanka, plundering its wealth and advocating policies to exterminate the majority populace and dividing the people continues to harp on inquiries against Sri Lanka and now declares a travel advisory against Sri Lanka, we need to next question exactly how safe Britain is. Having being declared the most violent country in Europe, with crime statistics worse than South Africa or the US, the UK can hardly afford to be issuing travel advisories. Instead, countries including Sri Lanka must issue ‘country of concern’ advisories against UK. UK appears to continue to think it rules Sri Lanka to be poking its nose into affairs that are domestic and outside the conduit of the UK Parliament. It is for the UK politicians in particular the Prime Minister to be more concerned about the grave situation in the UK than wasting UK tax payers money globe trotting to look into affairs of citizens who are not British or British subjects either.
The British are angry. One if 5 jobs are filled by immigrants. In the last 5 years 160,000 immigrants have taken jobs that would have gone to British subjects (75% of all jobs). Mass immigration has left an alarming legacy. This has diminished the integrity of UK parliamentarians and aspiring politicians. Cameron whose government has been allowing the influx of immigrants to patch up things declares ‘’We must say no to giving work to immigrants just because our young people aren’t up to the job’ yet he and fellow politicians run behind these immigrants for their bloc votes and even compromises UK policies for such votes. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2478336/David-Camerons-anger-factories-staffed-foreigners.html So the British must now ask the MPs of both Labor and Conservative Parties not to fool them anymore. As for the British themselves they are getting a taste of how natives felt when the colonial British occupying their countries had no choice when thousands of indented labor were brought in and dumped in their countries and these countries had to be saddled with them. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9831912/I-feel-like-a-stranger-where-I-live.html
For the country that should be declared the mother of all the world’s troubles, the UK has a heavy price to pay for the crimes it has plotted upon every nation it has descended up over time.
How safe is UK?
- Stratford in East London is UK’s worst crime spot – muggers, pickpockets and thieves.
- Westfield, Stratford City records 200 crimes per month – Scotland Yard has recorded 3,440 crimes in the area over the past 18 months, including 500 shoplifting offences, almost 300 violent crimes and hundreds of pick-pocketings and muggings. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389085/Britains-crime-hotspots-Astonishing-new-figures-identify-lawless-postcodes-country–zero-Londons-Westfield-Shopping-centres.html
- Glasgow ranks UK’s most dangerous area – http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22276018
- Britain is the most violent country in Europe, worse than South Africa or US – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html
Racial profiling / Racial Harassment in UK
Lets not forget racism started with the British when they launched translatlantic slave trade transporting blacks and Indians across the world in millions.
We can also recall numerous race riots across UK throughout 20th century. Riots in black areas of St. Pauls, Brixton, Toxteth, Moss Side, Notting Hill, Handsworth and Tottenham comes to mind.
The Joint Campaign Against Racism committee reported that there had been more than 20,000 attacks on non- Indigenous Britons including Britons of Asian origin during 1985 alone.
- A BBC undercover investigation revealed that UK tenants do not rent out homes to non-whites though under the Equality Act 2010, it is illegal for businesses to refuse to provide a service based on ethnicity.. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-24372509
- Muslims must note that over 700 mosques have been attacked in the UK since 2001 – how safe will Sri Lankan Muslims be travelling to UK? how safe are Sri Lankan dual passport holders living in the UK?
- As of 11 February 2011 attacks on Muslims in Scotland have contributing to a 20% increase in racist incidents over the past 12 months. Reports say every day in Scotland, 17 people are abused, threatened or violently attacked because of the colour of their skin, ethnicity or nationality. Statistics showed that just under 5,000 incidents of racism were recorded in 2009/10, a slight decrease from racist incidents recorded in 2008/9
- From 2004 to 2012 the rate of racist incidents has been around 5,000 incidents per year.
- In 2011-12, there were 5,389 racist incidents recorded by the police, which is a 10% increase on the 4,911 racist incidents recorded in 2010-11.
- A third of Brits admit they are racist. Data from 90 councils detail 87,915 ‘racist incidents’ at primary and secondary schools between 2007 and 2011.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2151056/Is-Britain-racist-nation-One-Brits-admits-racist-according-poll.html
UK Racism at work
- Undercover job hunters reveal huge race bias in Britain’s workplaces – http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover
- According to the UK government, there were 1.94 million violent crimes in the UK during 2011.
- The violent crime rate in the UK is 3,100 per 100,000, and in the US it is 380 per 100,000 population.
UK police are no saints
Police forces in the United Kingdom have been accused of institutionalised racism since the late 20th century.
During the 2011 London riots, a Metropolitan Police officer, PC Alex MacFarlane, arrested and attempted strangling an African origin male and used racial words like ‘nigger’ and ‘black cunt’ on him.
Prison guards are almost twice as likely to be reported for racism than inmates in the UK; with racist incidents between prison guards themselves being nearly as high as that between guards and prisoners. The environment has been described as a dangerous breeding ground for racist extremism
Attacks on Lawyers
- Sikh lawyers turban kicked off his head in racial act – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2543343/Sikh-lawyers-turban-kicked-head-beaten-ground-racist-attack-City-London.html
New laws violating human rights
- Justice and Security Act – enables secret courts to be set up with secretive closed material procedures (CMPs) into the main civil courts in England and Wales
- The system of Special Advocates – lawyers who are vetted and chosen by the government – “have a very limited ability to conduct a cross-examination and cannot discuss full content of confidential materials with their client thus undermining the right to a fair trial,” – this highlights heresay evidence or evidence based on torture.
- Failure for public inquiry into the State’s hand in the 1989 murder of the Belfast lawyer Pat Finucane. David Cameron has even apologized to the Finucane family after a scathing report by the former war crimes lawyer Sir Desmond de Silva QC
- The UN Committee against Torture accused UK of human rights abuses during the so-called war on terror and the mistreatment of prisoners in British custody in Iraq. The Committee says it is “deeply concerned at the growing number of serious allegations of torture and ill-treatment, as a result of the state party’s military interventions in Afghanistan and Iraq.”
- UN has flagged 40 separate incidents on which the UK government must act.
- “an escape clause” in the Criminal Justice Act (1988) enabling British officials to escape prosecution for inflicting severe pain or suffering if they can show that they had “lawful authority, justification or excuse” for doing so.
- Intelligence Services Act (1994), ensures intelligence officers cannot be prosecuted within the UK once a warrant giving them lawful authority has been signed by a government minister.
- failure to date to prosecute anyone for the torture of Iraqi prisoners and in particular the failure to convict anyone for the murder of Baha Mousa who died in British custody in 2003.
- Accusations of UK officials being evasive when questioned about Britain’s human rights record during a two-day hearing in Geneva
- The British Crime Survey reveals that in 2004, 87,000 people from black or minority ethnic communities said they had been a victim of a racially motivated crime. They had suffered 49,000 violent attacks, with 4,000 being wounded.
- UK is accused of colluding with US in the torture and rendition of terror suspects. The Constitution Project dossier also claims MI5 agents under the last Labour government knew prisoners were ill-treated at the hands of their captors. Abdel Hakim Belhadj is suing the British Government, its intelligence agencies and former foreign secretary Jack Straw for helping transfer him illegally to Libya, where he was tortured.
Mr Belhadj and his wife were seized in Malaysia in 2004 and flown to Tripoli on a CIA jet, which it is claimed flew via Diego Garcia, the British territory in the Indian Ocean.
War Criminals living in the UK
- 400 people suspected of genocide, torture or other serious crimes abroad are living in the UK despite being priority cases for deportation – http://www.theguardian.com/law/2011/feb/04/britain-home-to-400-war-criminals
Press freedom in UK!
UK passed the Transparency of Lobbying, Non-Party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Bill. A bill gagging charities, NGO’s, bloggers, community groups and most attempts at organised opposition to the government in the year prior to a general election…and just in time for the General Election next year.
UK security agency GCHQ gaining information from world’s biggest internet firms through US-run Prism programme
Britain appearing 28th (while US is 47th) on the World Press Freedom index hardly gives Britain any moral ground to preach.
What can Britain that demands other countries provide press freedom arrests the Guardian reporter David Miranda for leaking Edward Snowden’s documents? Under the UK government’s logic, several Guardian reporters and editors could also be guilty of engaging in “terrorism”,
The UK already has draconian measures in place that prevents newspapers from reporting freely on government. Newspapers are under constant fear of being censored under the Official Secrets Act, the Guardian was forced to destroy harddrives containing the Snowden files last year, and they are reportedly under active criminal investigation as well.
Why is the US silent about UK using terror laws to curb press freedom in the UK?
Like everywhere else you get the traitors within your own. The Daily Mail’s headline was: ‘MI5 CHIEF: GUARDIAN HAS HANDED GIFT TO TERRORISTS’. The Times had: ‘SPY LEAKS PUT BRITAIN IN DANGER SAYS MI5 CHIEF’. And the Daily Telegraph: ‘MI5: LEAKS A GIFT TO TERRORISTS TO ATTACK US AT WILL’ and, for good measure: ‘GUARDIAN LEAK OF MI5 FILES CRITICISED’.
Not only did these newspapers appear to have no qualms about uncritically adopting the views of the security service rather than defending investigative journalism, but they gloated about participating in the official pressure on the Guardian.
Be that as it may, UK’s statistics doesn’t allow it to gloat upon any country and it is better for Cameron to use the British taxpayers money to improving Britain rather than concentrate his time on countries that are no longer under the British Empire.
– by Shenali D Waduge
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s official reserve assets increase by 26.2% in May June 7, 2023
Apart from the wealth they robbed from commonwealth countries, the Brits are no different to any uncivilized country on earth in terms of attitude and culture.
Shenali, the “who is never ever listened to” is at it again.
Shenali, please go on, one fine day you will achieve Nibbana.
Thank you Shenali for your ever enlightening and forthright and fearless views on the imperial West hypocrisy. USA with its minions Britain, France and other NATO countries and forces impose themselves under their rules on the rest of the world. They totally ignore the UN rules on human rights. They are the war criminals who have committed crimes against humanity as well. They used WMD and have killed millions. But UN has done not pursued them at UNHRC and ICC. Ban ki-Moon is a puppet so is Navi Pillay. I hope to God that Russia will teach them a good lesson. I support President Putin whole-heartedly.
Oh Dear nicholas
Theanks for waking p from your slumber whilst the motherland is burning. The motherland is of course, the Titanic of the present age.
The R family is playing the last fiddle while the Nation is sinking.
And Nicholas, my dear uncle, along with the demonised Shenali, who is harping on the so-called ills fo the world for having nothing better to do, is playing Russian Roulette while the water is filling up the lower decks of the Titanic.
NICHOLAS, SHENALI, there’s something called “REALITY”. Open your eyes to it and face up to it.
Then the Nation will survive.
My dera Ganjapani, Yes, I too agree to some extent that unending articles written by Shenali is not going to change anything on the ground. But I believe you too should open your eyes to reality.
Now below is a report of another Special UN woman rapporteur (she also is from South Africa). So you can draw parallels and work it out yourself how UK treat comments by one UN rapporteur and another and their free access to things in a society nothing to hide. If you or anybody can access from outside the UK, the link is:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27034117 . Anyway, I have copy and pasted it below.
UN Special Rapporteur Rashida Manjoo says UK has ‘sexist culture’
15 April 2014 Last updated at 18:39
Share this page
UN Special Rapporteur Rashida Manjoo says UK has ‘sexist culture’
Rashida Manjoo Rashida Manjoo raised concerns about the portrayal of women in the media
Continue reading the main story
Army ‘failing to combat sexism’ Listen
Sexism ‘is daily reality’ for girls
The difficulty of dealing with groping
The UK has a “boys’ club sexist culture”, a UN investigator looking at violence against women has said.
Rashida Manjoo is on a visit to the UK, studying its approach to the issue.
She said sexism was worse in the UK than in other places, and warned that the government’s austerity measures were having a “disproportionate impact” on women’s risk of violence.
The government said it wanted to end violence against women, and had ring-fenced £40m for support services.
Ms Manjoo made her comments as she presented her preliminary findings, before she is due to report back to the UN Human Rights Council.
The part-time professor in public law at the University of Cape Town raised fears that sexual bullying and harassment in schools was “routine”.
She said sexism in the UK was more “in your face” than in other countries, and raised serious concerns about the portrayal of women and girls in the media.
She said the British media was responsible for “negative and over-sexualised portrayals of women”, with some websites and TV channels dealing in the “marketisation of their bodies”.
Ms Manjoo said it was clear “there is a boys’ club, sexist culture that exists, and it does lead to perceptions about women and girls in this country”.
She said public spending cuts were having a “disproportionate impact” on women, and raised concerns about reductions in legal aid for domestic violence victims.
“Access to trauma services, financial support and housing are crucial, yet current reforms to the funding and benefits system continue to adversely impact women’s ability to address safety and other relevant issues,” she said.
She said the cuts “not only [affected] the specific provision of ‘violence against women’ services”, but also had a more general impact as poverty and unemployment were known contributory factors.
The inspector also said she had wanted to visit Yarl’s Wood Immigration Centre in Bedfordshire, which houses hundreds of women, to “objectively seek information on violations being experienced”.
But she said she believed an order to stop her gaining access to the facility had come from the highest levels at the Home Office.
She had been due to visit the site with the help of the Prisons Inspectorate, she told journalists, but was told by the centre’s director that she would not be allowed access.
A Home Office spokeswoman said: “Violence against women and girls in any form is unacceptable and the government has shown its commitment to ending it.
“We have ring-fenced nearly £40m for specialist support services and national helplines.”
On the subject of Ms Manjoo’s itinerary, the spokeswoman said: “A comprehensive programme was drawn up for the special rapporteur’s visit, including meetings with the home secretary, the minister for crime prevention, and the chief inspector of prisons.
“Several other options, including a trip to a women’s refuge, were turned down by the special rapporteur.
“A tour of Yarl’s Wood immigration removal centre was never agreed as part of this fact-finding mission.”
Why should we even worry about countries like UK except to fight back if they try to interfere in Sri Lanka. UK is in our past and good riddance too. The future will be anchored in Asia, Africa and Australia.