UNP rebels stick to their guns
The ‘Jathika Pawra’ organisation which organised last Saturday’s protest march in Matara demanding a change in the United National Party (UNP) leadership, yesterday reiterated that the UNP leader should resign.
“UNP Leader Ranil Wickremesinghe should follow the suggestions made by Eksath Bhikshu Peramuna and resign for the betterment of the party,” Southern Provincial Councillor and Jathika Pawra Co-Organiser Maithri Gunaratne told a news conference yesterday.
He said they would take to the streets and even conduct a fast unto death if Mr. Wickremesinghe refuses to step down after holding discussions with parliamentarians Karu Jayasuriya and Sajith Premadasa.
Mr. Gunaratne said they were not forcing the leader to leave the party. “We are only seeking his resignation as party leader. We have nothing against him working in a party committee or holding another post,” he said.
(Courtesy: DM Online)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Customs seizes Drugs worth over Rs. 60 Million December 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- Three Sri Lankans, including Ranish Hewage serving in the Ukraine Army killed in Russian attack December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023