UPFA creates history; Secures near two-thirds majority; Death blow to JVP;
The United Peoples’ Freedom Alliance created history by winning a huge majority close to almost two-thirds in the 14th Parliament of Sri Lanka at the General election held Thursday.
Under the proportional representation system combined with preferential voting and a system of bonus seats for the winner at district level the two-thirds barrier was conceived to be insurmountable by its crafty architect former President J R Jayewardene.
In planting their imprint on the political map of Sri Lanka the people have in the process also relegated the Grand Old Party into oblivion and administered a death blow on the JVP dashing to the ground all its hopes of securing power by hanging on to the coat tail of a retired General.
The UPFA secured majorities over 100, 000 in six electoral districts while its majority in the electoral district of Kurunegala exceeded 200,000. The highest majority of 322,953 votes was recorded in the Gampaha district.
The results for Kandy and Trincomalee districts have not been released. They will be released only after a re-poll is held by the Elections Commissioner in electorates where counting has been suspended on account of alleged malpractices.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023