Urban development added to Defence Ministry
The Defence Ministry has been re designated as the Defence and Urban Development Ministry, Secretary to the President Lalith Weeratunga told the Daily News yesterday. He said that the gazette notification in this regard was issued last week.
He noted that this revision was made in order to reflect the current tasks and missions of the ministry specifically.
He said that the Urban Development Authority was taken over by the Defence Ministry at a previous occasion for efficient management of urban development activities.
He observed that there is no change in institutions affiliated to the ministry from this revision.
He said that funds will be allocated from the budget 2012 to suit the new scope of the ministry. Accordingly financial allocations required for the smooth functioning of urban development projects and beautification programmes will be allocated directly to the Defence Ministry.
Courtesy: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023