US commends reconciliation measures of Sri Lanka
Posted in Local News
A U.S. envoy has commended the steps taken by Sri Lanka to foster reconciliation between the sides that fought a long civil war that ended seven years ago.
Assistant Secretary of State Tom Malinowski said Sri Lanka had taken concrete steps forward in its reforms in democratization and reconciliation.
Sri Lanka has faced criticism for failing to properly investigate alleged human rights abuses by both sides during the final phase of the war in which government forces defeated the Tamil Tiger rebels.
After the war ended, the U.S. demanded investigations into the abuse allegations, and bilateral relations became strained under the then-government.
- Sri Lanka signs agreement with RM Parks Inc to ensure uninterrupted fuel supply June 8, 2023
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023