US commends reconciliation measures of Sri Lanka
A U.S. envoy has commended the steps taken by Sri Lanka to foster reconciliation between the sides that fought a long civil war that ended seven years ago.
Assistant Secretary of State Tom Malinowski said Sri Lanka had taken concrete steps forward in its reforms in democratization and reconciliation.
Sri Lanka has faced criticism for failing to properly investigate alleged human rights abuses by both sides during the final phase of the war in which government forces defeated the Tamil Tiger rebels.
After the war ended, the U.S. demanded investigations into the abuse allegations, and bilateral relations became strained under the then-government.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President at COP28 urges bold action in the face of alarming climate predictions December 2, 2023
- Diana Gamage, Sujith Perera and Rohana Bandara banned from Parliament December 2, 2023
- Sri Lanka bondholders raise concerns over debt deal transparency December 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023