US says “time is slipping away” for Sri Lanka; action in Council will sow seeds of peace
US Under Secretary of State for Civilian Security, Democracy and Human Rights Maria Otero speaking at the UN Human Rights Council session a short while ago expressed that the US is concerned over Sri Lanka as “time is slipping away” and requested that the LLRC recommendations be implemented.
She added that the US welcomed the recommendations made by the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) and requested that it be implemented.
“There can be no lasting peace without reconciliation and accountability but the US is concerned in Sri Lanka that time is slipping away and the international waited three years for action”, Otero stated.
She added that the United States continues to engage Sri Lanka bilaterally on these issues since the conflict ended in 2009 and stands ready to continue its work with Sri Lanka.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023