Vaiko to lead protest against Gotabaya’s visit
MDMK general secretary Vaiko on Saturday said he will lead a demonstration in New Delhi on November 28 against Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s visit to the country, the Hindu reported.
In a statement, he alleged that Mr. Gotabaya Rajapaksa was, in his capacity as Defence Minister in then President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s Cabinet, responsible for the “ruthless killing of Tamils” during the Sri Lankan civil war.
“He has become the President and handed the Prime Minister’s post to Mr. Mahinda Rajapaksa. He has ordered patrolling by the Army in Tamil areas,” Mr. Vaiko said.
First official visit
Failing to take into account the sentiments of eight crore Tamils, the BJP government at the Centre had invited Mr. Gotabaya Rajapaksa to India, in what will be his first official visit to a foreign country after coming to power, the MDMK leader noted.
(Source: The Hindu)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Supreme Court invalidates Cabinet decision granting Paget road residence to Maithripala Sirisena February 29, 2024
- Nagananda Kodituwakku barred from practicing as Attorney-at-Law February 29, 2024
- Sri Lanka President highlights country’s Indian ocean security commitment at Pathfinder Conference February 29, 2024
- 36 persons injured in a bus accident in Monaragala February 29, 2024
- IMF Team to conduct second review of Sri Lanka’s EFF program in March 2024 February 28, 2024