Vajira wants Ranil to remain as UNP Leader
The UNP’s main weakness was that some of its MPs were attacking the party leader instead of working together to weaken the government, UNP MP Vajira Abeywardena said, yesterday, addressing the media.
Abeywardena said that Ranil Wickremesinghe should remain as the party leader and that they would take steps to defeat factions that were against the UNP leadership.
“We should be attacking the government but some MPs are attacking Wickremesinghe. The only outcome can be the weakening of the party and the suffering of the UNPers.”
He said that the UNP Parliamentary Group had no power to change the party leadership,
“If we stop worrying about defeating Wickremesinghe, the UNP will score a big victory at the coming general election,”Abeywardena added.
(Source: The Island)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023