Variant currently spreading in Sri Lanka confirmed to be UK variant
The COVID-19 variant currently spreading in the country has been confirmed to be the variant spreading in the UK, which is B.1.1.7, Director of the Department of Immunology and Molecular Medicine of Sri Jayewardenepura University Dr. Chandima Jeewandara said.
He said B.1.1.7 variant specific to UK had been detected from the samples obtained from Colombo, Boralesgamuwa and Kurunegala areas.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Nightlife will play a vital role in Sri Lanka’s economic growth and tourist experience February 23, 2024
- Moon landing today: US clinches first touchdown in 50 years February 23, 2024
- Johnston Fernando requests immediate probe into Sanath Nishantha’s death February 22, 2024
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024