Vigneswaran manages to get separate meeting with Ban Ki-moon
Chief Minister of Northern Province, C.V. Vigneswaran, has managed to get a separate meeting with the visiting UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon, after being clubbed together with other leaders of the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) for a full-scale official session with the UN chief when he comes to Jaffna on September 2.
Sources in the TNA said that on his way out after a full-scale meeting with the TNA leaders led by party chief R.Sampanthan, Ban will have a brieftete-a-tete with Vigneswaran.
Earlier, in an effort to sideline him for his non-cooperative attitude, the powers-that-be who drew up Ban’s itinerary did not schedule a separate meeting with Vigneswaran, even though there was a separate meeting with the provincial Governor Reginold Cooray.
Complaining about this publicly on Sunday, Vigneswaran said that the invitation to join the TNA delegation to meet the UN Secretary General was given half heartedly by the TNA chief Sampanthan. Sampanthan had telephoned him to say that he could join the TNA delegation if he wished to. Wigneswaran told the media that given that kind of invitation, he was not sure if he would go for the meeting.
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023