Wanted gunman killed in shootout with Police Special Task Force
A wanted gunman has died in a shootout early this morning (June 24) with the Police Special Task Force (STF) personnel who were trying to arrest him.
The gun battle took place in the area of Welikada Yaya in Embilipitiya during a raid mounted by the STF.
In a bid to avoid arrest, the 22-year-old suspect, who had been wanted by the police over multiple gun violence incidents, had fired gunshots at the STF personnel.
STF personnel fired back at the suspect, in which he lost his life.
The deceased is reportedly a former army soldier, who was also complicit in two recent shootings in Minuwangoda and Ambalangoda, during which three people including a deputy school principal were injured.
Embilipitiya Police are conducting further investigations into the incident.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023
- IMF chief Kristalina and Sri Lanka President Ranil discuss ongoing reforms and debt restructuring efforts September 21, 2023
- Two killed, two injured in shooting at Avissawella September 21, 2023
- Batticaloa Campus returned to Hizbullah September 20, 2023