Will support candidate who can face Islamic extremism firmly
Parliamentarian Ven. Athuraliye Rathana Thera said yesterday he would support, at the next presidential election, the candidate who could face Islamic extremism firmly.
The Thera told a news conference that the presidential election should be held without delay and added that people would respond to the government for failing to address the Islamic extremist issue.
“Whoever was nominated as the presidential candidate, we will support the one who can address Islamic Terrorism firmly. Madrasas should be abolished. There should be a clear policy on agriculture, energy and education sectors,” he said. Ven. Rathana Thera said the government was suppressed by Islamic extremism and added that it had failed to implement law against Dr. Shafi and M.A.L.M. Hisbullah.
“The two police officials involved in the probe on Dr. Shafi were transferred just because implementing the law against him.”
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Ajith Siriwardana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Keheliya Rambukwella further remanded until March 14, 2024 February 29, 2024
- Supreme Court invalidates Cabinet decision granting Paget road residence to Maithripala Sirisena February 29, 2024
- Nagananda Kodituwakku barred from practicing as Attorney-at-Law February 29, 2024
- Sri Lanka President highlights country’s Indian ocean security commitment at Pathfinder Conference February 29, 2024
- 36 persons injured in a bus accident in Monaragala February 29, 2024