Wimal, Gammanpila led group to vote for Dullas Alahapperuma
The Union of Independent Parties led by MPs Wimal Weerawansa and Udaya Gammanpila has decided to back Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) MP Dullas Alahapperuma in the election in parliament to elect a new President tomorrow (July 20).
MP Weerawansa informed the decision during a press briefing held today (July 19).
The names of Acting President Ranil Wickremesinghe, MP Dullas Alahapperuma and NPP leader Anura Kumara Dissanayake were officially nominated for the presidency at today’s parliamentary session.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023