Writ filed against the 2019 Presidential Election
A petition was filed in the Supreme Court today requesting to issue a writ order declaring the gazette notification to call for the presidential election was illegal.
The petition was filed by former Galle Mayor Methsiri De Silva.
The petition cites the Chairman of the Election Commission Mahinda Deshapriya, Election Commission members and the Attorney General as respondents.
The writ petition claims that President Maithripala Sirisena was elected into office for six years and claims that the fundamental rights of voters have been violated owing to a Presidential Election being called prior to the expiration of his six years in office.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka lacks commitment and discipline – Murali December 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe meets Bill Gates December 3, 2023
- Indian envoy visits Sri Lanka’s north, underscores India’s commitment to country December 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President at COP28 urges bold action in the face of alarming climate predictions December 2, 2023
- Diana Gamage, Sujith Perera and Rohana Bandara banned from Parliament December 2, 2023