Zaharan’s trusted lieutenant arrested
The State Intelligence Service (SIS) officers, in Ampara, arrested National Thowheed Jamaath (NTJ) leader Zaharan Hashim’s Kalmunai leader Siyam, on Sunday, and four other members yesterday.
Acting on information elicited from the suspects, the police recovered 31 CDs containing extremist Islamic ideology hidden in an abandoned well. They had undergone training in Hambantota, police said.
According to police, the suspects including Siyam are senior members of the NTJ had been trained in Hambantota.
Siyam had been able to escape from the security forces having helped the NTJ members who died in a confrontation with the security forces while they were moving from Ninthavur to Saindamaradu.
Siyam had also helped another member of NTJ Mohamed Niyaz, who died in the Saindamaradu confrontation, to buy a house in Ampara.
The CID is conducting further investigations.
(Source: The Island – By Susantha Amarabandu)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023