Another concoction by Channel 4
A new allegation levelled, that Prabhakaran’s 12-year son was killed in cold blood, is another concoction by British Channel 4 TV, Sri Lanka’s High Commissioner to India Prasad Kariyawasam said. In an interview with NDTV he said that the Channel 4 allegation is unsubstantiated, uncorroborated and not been checked by any authority.
Kariyawasam said that this is the second time that Channel 4 in UK has come up with such allegations. Like the first set of productions, ‘this is also unsubstantiated, uncorroborated and unchecked by any authority and we think it is a concoction.
“We would not welcome it because that part of the war was unclear, it was incomplete and to that purpose, to set up some examination of what happened, Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission has made some recommendations and government and our Parliament are now in the process of looking at those things and taking step by step measures as they are recommended and we want home-grown solutions,’ he added. He was of the view that the country needs a path of reconciliation, reconstruction and rehabilitation. “It is very surprising why such things are coming up because after defeating this abominable terrorist group three years ago, we want a path of reconciliation, reconstruction and rehabilitation and for that purpose we were looking at what we call restorative justice not retributive justice”, he added.
The Sri Lankan envoy stressed that the retribution is not in our grain and for that purpose we set up for what we call the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission, an independent commission with a lot of good credentials to come up with ideas to search for all the solutions as well as address the context of the conflict and to come up with the recommendations.
“And as we expected, they have now come up with the report which has a lot of good elements commended by international community themselves and we want time to work on those matters. And in times like that international non-governmental organisations and some governments in the West seeking to intervene and try to force the hand of Sri Lanka is something which to my mind is misplaced and ill-judged. It does not help in our path of step by step reconciliation.
Courtesy: Daily News
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023