Bandula ready for public debate
Education Minister Bandula Gunawardene said today said he was ready for a public debate to prove that a family of three could survive with a monthly income of Rs.7500.
He told a news conference he would meet anyone with a sound knowledge of economics to disprove what he said.
Mr. Gunawardene said his argument was that a small family could survive on Rs.7,500 a month and pointed out that school hostels spend only Rs.2,500 to feed a student for a month.
The minister who used to be an economics teacher said a family spends only 41 per cent of the monthly income for food and the rest is spent on clothes and to pay utility bills.
He said this is what is computed by the Colombo Consumer Price Index which works out the average income of a family and their spending patterns.
The minister said his argument was based on sound economic principals and he could prove it any time.
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023