Cabinet nod to import 100,000 Metric Ton of rice
The Cabinet of Ministers has granted approval for a proposal to import 100,000 Metric Ton of rice.
The proposal, tabled by Minister of Trade Bandula Gunawardana was approved during yesterday’s weekly Cabinet meeting.
The Trade Ministry in a statement said, the move to import rice was taken since prices of rice variants in the local market have increased steeply due to arbitrary decisions taken by producers and traders.
Accordingly, the Ministry has decided to use the government-to-government import scheme and purchase 100,000 Metric Ton of rice.
The Ministry noted the incumbent government introduced a policy to limit the import of rice and other essential goods to protect farmers and local producers.
It noted however producers and traders have misused the policy and increased prices of rice and burdened the public.
The Trade Ministry said therefore it decided to import additional stocks and control the prices of rice in the local market.
(Source: News Radio)
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
People doubt whether the SL paddy production figures reported by the Ministry of Agric are really correct ? Some sort of mechanism to be developed to ascertain how production quantities are arrived at – whether it is a theoritical calculation or a practical exercise ! Practioners feel there is some discrepancy and figures are bloated to show efficiency. End result – shortage of rice in the country every year, imports of massive rice shipments & commissions,etc.
Den Sepa dee ???
Where is the guarantee these are made without chemical fertilizer? I thought after the last defeat Rajapakshas learnt a lesson. But the way things are, now both brothers as the PM and the president seem to descending into the cesspool faster than ever!!! I had a lot of hope!