Central Bank suspends Money Changing permit issued to Prasanna Money Exchange (Pvt) Ltd
The Central Bank of Sri Lanka has decided to temporarily suspend the permit issued to the Prasanna Money Exchange (Pvt) Ltd under the provisions of the Foreign Exchange Act No. 12 of 2017, with effect from today (March 31).
Considering the complaints received from the general public that Prasanna Money Exchange (Pvt) Ltd is offering higher exchange rates, the Department of Foreign Exchange of the Central Bank conducted an on-site investigation at the Prasanna Money Exchange (Pvt) Ltd on March 30.
As per the investigation, it was observed that the Prasanna Money Exchange (Pvt) Ltd had offered higher exchange rates and thereby attempted to purchase foreign currency from its customers at higher rates than the exchange rates offered to them by Licensed Banks and that they were in violation of the Directions issued to Authorised Money Changers under the FEA.
The public is hereby informed that the Prasanna Money Exchange (Pvt) Ltd is no longer permitted to engage in money changing activities as an Authorised Money Changer with effect from 31.03.2022. The public is also informed that any transaction with the Prasanna Money Exchange (Pvt) Ltd during the period of suspension is considered as a contravention with the provision of the FEA.
The Central Bank has intensified its on-site investigations at Authorised Money Changing outlets and will stand ready to suspend/revoke permits of Authorised Money Changers who do not adhere to the Directions issued under the Foreign Exchange Act.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Sanath Nishantha to pay electric bills of SLPP low-income families October 4, 2023
- Chairman of CEYPETCO and CPSTL Uvais Mohamed resigns October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023
- World Bank boosts Sri Lanka economic forecasts after inflation progress October 3, 2023