Dayasiri explains why Government should go to the IMF
The General Secretary of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party, State Minister Dayasiri Jayasekara says he personally believes the government should seek the assistance of the International Monetary Fund to resolve the present economic crisis.
Speaking to media in Kandy, State Minister Jayasekara said although there are several alternatives, he believes the best course of action should be to obtain the support of the IMF.
He said several countries such as India, China and Japan are not keen on supporting Sri Lanka at present.
The State Minister noted that the IMF will impose certain conditions to support the government.
He said the IMF will request the government to restructure loss-making state entities and ease the burden on state finances.
State Minister Dayasiri Jayasekara noted that the government should anyway take such initiatives since SriLankan Airlines and several institutions are incurring massive losses which are borne by the public who at times don’t even use such services.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023