Defence Secretary confirms Mahinda Rajapaksa was taken to Trincomalee Naval Base
Defence Secretary Kamal Gunaratne today confirmed that former Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa was escorted to the Trincomalee Naval Base for security reasons following the tense situation outside the Temple Trees.
Speaking at a media briefing at the Ministry of Defence, He said that the former Prime Minister will be given adequate security and he would be transported to a preferred location when the situation returns to normalcy.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023