Digital National Identity Cards from November
The Ministry of Technology says the agreement to be signed to introduce the Digital National Identity Card in the country with financial assistance from India will be presented to the Cabinet of Ministers today for approval.
Secretary of the Ministry Jayantha de Silva said the agreement will be inked during the upcoming visit of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The Secretary said the Indian government has pledged to grant Sri Lanka USD 8 million to implement the digitization project.
The Cabinet approval to sign the agreement was granted recently.
The project aims to facilitate the identification of citizens through biometric information.
Secretary of the Ministry Jayantha de Silva noted that they are hoping to introduce the digital National ID card for citizens from November this year.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023