DM is new PM
Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma
(Pix by: Chandana Perera)
Mr D.M.Jayaratne, senior member of Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) was sworn in before the President Mahinda Rajapaksa as the 14th Prime Minister of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka at Temple Trees this afternoon on 21 April.
Disanayake Mudiyanselage Jayaratne (79 years) the former parliamentarian from Gampola electorate in the Kandy district was appointed through the National list for the newly elected United Peoples Freedom Alliance (UPFA) government before he was sworn in as the Premier. Mr Jayaratne entered to the parliament in 1970 and is recognized as a very loyal MP to SLFP. He has held many ministerial posts and eagerly waited for the Premiership for a long time.
Former Prime Minister Ratnasiri wickramanayake and President Rajapaksa’s younger brother Basil Rajapaksa MP, one of the front runners for the Premiership congratulated the new Prime Minister at the swearing ceremony. Members of the new government and the family members of the Prime Minister Jayaratne participated at the ceremony. Son in law of the Prime Minister, Duminda Dissanayaka MP and former minister also participated with his father Berty Premalal Dissanayake, Chief Minister of the North Central Province.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023