Duminda Silva still in Sri Jayewardenepura Hospital
Former Parliamentarian Duminda Silva continues to receive treatment at Sri Jayewardenepura Hospital under prison security.
Duminda Silva is receiving treatment at the Sri Jayewardenepura Hospital following the suspension of the Presidential pardon granted to him by the Supreme Court on May 31, 2022, the Prisons Department said.
On January 17, 2024 Supreme Court declared that former President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s decision to grant a Presidential pardon to former Parliamentarian Duminda Silva was unlawful and invalid.
Prisons Spokesman Gamini B Dissanayake said that the Prison Department has informed the relevant authorities including the court that Duminda Silva is being treated at the Sri Jayewardenepura Hospital.
He said the Prisons Department has requested the authorities to transfer Duminda Silva to the prison hospital, but despite the request of the Prisons Department, a specialist doctor recommended that Duminda Silva should be treated in Sri Jayewardenepura Hospital.
It was reported that the Prison Department does not have sufficient specialist doctors to go beyond the recommendations of Duminda Silva’s doctors.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Public Health Inspector (PHI) shot dead in Elpitiya February 26, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s justice minister assures presidential election scheduled for 2024 February 26, 2024
- Wanindu Hasaranga suspended for two matches, fined February 25, 2024
- Parliamentary committees summon CBSL officials over 70% salary increase February 25, 2024
- STF arrests Army Corporal over Mahabage shooting that killed “Ukkuwa” February 24, 2024