Field Marshal gives reasons for UNP’s defeat
UNP MP Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka, on Sunday, identified flaws in the fund allocation under the previous government as one of the major reasons for the defeat of its presidential candidate Sajith Premadasa.
Citing examples, he said the North East had been given Rs. 63 billion whereas the Gampaha District with a population of 1.8 million had got hardly anything.
Speaking, at an event, where UNP Deputy leader Sajith Premadasa met the UNP local authorities and provincial council members and supporters at the Exhibition and Convention Centre in Colombo, the former Army Chief said that the money allocated for the development of Digawapiya, should have been used at least to develop 10 temples and that would have strengthened the UNP vote base further.
He said that billions had been allocated to the Polonnaruwa District.
Fonseka admitted that the bond scams had ruined the UNP’s chances of winning the presidential election.
He also said the UNP should not continue to harbour crooks within its ranks.
(Source: The Island – By Ifham Nizam)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023