Four arrested for stealing explosives from quarry in Mawanella
Explosives that went missing from a rock quarry at Hingula area in Mawanella have been recovered from the area of Thalwatte in Peradeniya, says Police Spokesman DIG Ajith Rohana.
The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) has arrested four suspects for allegedly stealing the explosives.
The police complaint in this regard was recorded on December 23.
According to the statement, one suspect, who was an employee of the quarry, was arrested by the Mawanella police.
Later, the investigations were handed over to the CID and they recovered the explosives from a location in Peradeniya with three other suspects who had links with the quarry employer.
The CID investigations revealed that the quarry employer had stolen the explosives and other materials and handed them over to the other three.
The quarry employee was remanded and the three suspects who were arrested today will be produced before the Mawanella Magistrate, he said.
Among the items that went missing from the quarry included ammonium nitrate, water-gel pellets, detonators, a detonator cord and 70-Ampere battery.
Police Spokesperson noted that there is no involvement of extremist or terrorist organizations in this incident.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Parliament approves VAT (amendment) Bill December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023