Government attempting to hand naval operations to a businessman – Patali
Parliamentarian Patali Champika Ranawaka says the present administration is attempting to handover large sums of revenue earned by the Sri Lanka Navy through foreign naval operations to a fraudulent businessman.
Speaking during a media briefing in Colombo, MP Ranawaka said the Navy received the opportunity to provide security to vessels against Somalian pirates in December 2009.
The Parliamentarian said the Navy received an income of Rs.2 billion within the initial two years.
He charged that a group of racketeers observed the situation and secured the contract themselves.
MP Ranawaka said as a result of a three-year contract between 2012-2015, the country, the Navy and the Treasury lost an income in the sum of Rs.10 billion.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- No-confidence motion against Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena handed over March 5, 2024
- Railway trade unions in Sri Lanka announce 24-hour token strike over salary cuts March 5, 2024
- Basil Rajapaksa returns to Sri Lanka March 5, 2024
- Sri Lanka President says 42 new laws enacted for economic transformation, 62 laws due for enactment March 5, 2024
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from March 05, 2024 March 4, 2024