I could not even get Matara Post Office painted – Sanath
As the Deputy Minister of Post in the Mahinda Rajapaksa government, I could not even get the buildings of the Matara Post Office painted, lamented former UPFA Parliamentarian, SLFP’s organizer for Matara, Matara District Development Committee Chairman and Deputy Posts Minister Sanath Jayasuriya in reply to a question posed by media personnel.
“Although I was the Chairman of the District Development Committee, I was unable to initiate any development work in Matara. I was merely a figurehead agreeing to development projects put forward by others.
During the MR era, there were permanent hoardings in the center of Matara which even the Mayor did not dare to remove,” he said.
“Although I topped the UPFA’s preferential votes in the district, I could not fulfill the promises I made to my constituents, which prompted me to resign from the post of SLFP organizer and give up active politics,” Jayasuriya added.
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023