India expressed gratitude for fishermen release
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday termed the release of five fishermen on death row in Sri Lanka as ‘heart-warming’, adding that the action will help improve the ties between the two countries.
“The reports of the Tamil fishermen being released are extremely heart-warming. Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to the Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa some time ago. The government authorities and the Ministry of External Affairs have also offered to give all kinds of possible help to the fishermen,” BJP spokesperson GVL Narsimha Rao told ANI.
“The credit for their release should go to the Central government. We have excellent relations with all our neighbours and I think this will further cement the ties between India and Sri Lanka and will lead to the easing of a lot issues that have affected the relations between the two countries,” he added.
Meanwhile, former Congress strongman in Tamil Nadu GK Vasan expressed his sympathy over the plight of the fishermen.
“On one hand we are happy that the fishermen have been released, on the other hand it is very unfortunate that a false case was registered against them and they were arrested. They were innocent fishermen but had to be in a Sri Lankan jail for over three years and they have suffered there,” Vasan told ANI.
“This kind of inhuman act by that nation’s government is condemnable and I am sure that it won’t be repeated,” he added.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023
- Results of 2022 (2023) G.C.E. O/L exam released December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from November 30, 2023 November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka inflation rises for second month on high energy costs November 30, 2023