India expressed gratitude for fishermen release
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday termed the release of five fishermen on death row in Sri Lanka as ‘heart-warming’, adding that the action will help improve the ties between the two countries.
“The reports of the Tamil fishermen being released are extremely heart-warming. Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to the Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa some time ago. The government authorities and the Ministry of External Affairs have also offered to give all kinds of possible help to the fishermen,” BJP spokesperson GVL Narsimha Rao told ANI.
“The credit for their release should go to the Central government. We have excellent relations with all our neighbours and I think this will further cement the ties between India and Sri Lanka and will lead to the easing of a lot issues that have affected the relations between the two countries,” he added.
Meanwhile, former Congress strongman in Tamil Nadu GK Vasan expressed his sympathy over the plight of the fishermen.
“On one hand we are happy that the fishermen have been released, on the other hand it is very unfortunate that a false case was registered against them and they were arrested. They were innocent fishermen but had to be in a Sri Lankan jail for over three years and they have suffered there,” Vasan told ANI.
“This kind of inhuman act by that nation’s government is condemnable and I am sure that it won’t be repeated,” he added.
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
Then Sri Lankan fishermen who dealt with Indian fishermen in this heroin business should also be released. Finally all the other Sri Lankans engaged in heroin business should be released.
All in all this is a good move by SL Govt. The words of Modi and acknowledging the good offices between the central Govt of India and SL have to be appreciated while condemning the arrogant comment by GK Vassan.