Interim order issued preventing arrest of Ravi and 6 others
The Court of Appeal today issued an interim order preventing the enforcement of a warrant issued for the arrest of Former Minister Ravi Karunanayake and six others by the Colombo Fort Magistrate.
Court of Appeal three-judge-bench comprising Justice (President) A.H.M.D. Nawaz, Justice Shiran Gunaratne and Justice Sobhitha Rajakaruna made this order consequent to the writ petitions filed by Ravi Karunanayake and six others challenging Colombo Fort Magistrate’s order to issue warrants against them on last March 6.
They have been charged with allegedly misappropriating more than Rs 52 billion in government bonds at two auctions in 2016.
The petitioners had alleged that the Colombo Fort Magistrate issuing arrest warrants on them based on the B report submitted to the bench by the police is against the law and had sought the Appeals Court for a revocation of warrants.
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
It is great this should be the 1st step to stop outsiders from using the party color or elephant symbol