JO decides to oppose 20A
Posted in Local News
The hierarchy of the joint opposition unanimously decided yesterday to oppose the 20th Amendment to the Constitution proposed by the JVP to abolish the Executive Presidency, an official said.
These discussions took place when they met former President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Initially, there were differences of opinion. However, they reached a consensus that they should oppose the move undertaken by the JVP. They took the position that the constitution should not be amended in such a piecemeal manner.
Additionally, it was observed that there was a move to postpone elections along with this exercise.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Kelum Bandara)
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023