July strikers’ protest compels road closure
A massive protest by July strikers had compelled the closure of roads opposite the Fort railway station causing a traffic jam for several hours. They were protesting the ill treatment they had received from successive governments and were marching towards the presidential secretariat when the police barricaded the area.
Our reporter said the protesters attempted to push down the barricades resulting in a tense situation after which two representatives were granted permission to visit the secretariat.
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023