JVP apprehensive about Millennium Challenge Corporation pact
The JVP has vehemently opposed the signing of all international agreements without following due process and by evading Parliament scrutiny.
Speaking during a media briefing in Colombo today, JVP Parliamentarian Bimal Rathnayake said a broad public discourse is needed before the signing of the Millennium Challenge Corporation Agreement with the United States.
Parliamentarian Bimal Rathnayake added, “the country is not aware of the Millennium Challenge Corporation agreement. The agreement has not been discussed in Parliament. As the JVP and the National Movement for People’s Power, we believe true facts must be stated and awareness must be raised prior to signing the agreement. That has not been done, and there isn’t sufficient time to do so. Therefore, we see that the MCC agreement should not be signed during this period and it must be discussed sufficiently in Parliament. Several agreements which severely challenge the country’s sovereignty were signed over the past 25 years, under former administrations led by the UNP, Mahinda Rajapaksa and Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga. However, no decisive action has been taken against the signing of such agreements, by the present UNP-led government or the Rajapaksa regime. Therefore, I challenge Gotabaya Rajapaksa to pledge to revoke the SOFA agreement signed with the US, if he comes to power.”
(Source: News Radio)
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
The timing of these agreements just prior to elections, and possible change of government is why the Americans are pressing for it.
Universally known that this is a weak government with a colonial mindset, eager to do the bidding of the West!
All the agreements are pieces of a jigsaw.
Put them together, and you will see why the sharks are circling!
USA is looking for a base in the Indian Ocean! Sri Lanka is strategically positioned.
We must resist this at all cost.