Mahanayaka Theros write to Sri Lankan President over electricity tariff hike, want policy on electricity
Posted in Local News
The Mahanayake Theros of the four main Buddhist sects in the country are asking the President to prepare an electricity tariff policy that provides concessions to sacred places.
In a letter dated 20th September, 2022 to the President Ranil Wickremesinghe by Mahanayake Theros says that the people who are suffering from the economic crisis are contributing to the existence of temples all over the country, disregarding religious and other differences.
The Mahanayake Theros urge that the existing economic crisis be solved soon to create a more secure nation.
- MP Gajendrakumar Ponnambalam arrested in Colombo June 7, 2023
- Yohani de Silva gets ‘Golden Visa’ from Dubai June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka-born woman in UK becomes youngest ever non-white Crown Court judge June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
The policy on electricity is “SOLD AT THE PRICE OF COST PLUS MAINTENANCE AND BUILDING COST OF THE GRID PLUS EMPLOYEES SALARIES. USERS OF ELECTRICITY NEED TO PAY FOR WHAT THEY USE”. Very simple. Same goes for MAHA- ANU- and KUDA- nayakas and all colour of robe wearers.
The energy and food price of the world has rocketed. In countries like Spain and UK we cut down the consumption and most of the people walk or use public transport to cut down the cost of energy. Now know that Sri Lanka has problems due to the inefficient of the government. As a result quite rightly some imports are restricted. This is a good opportunity for the Sri Lankens to start some industry or a business (for example if the price of a egg is 65 Rupees start a egg farm, if food there is food shortage start growing thigs or capture the energy of the sun). Don’t waste time and energy doing this meaningless demonstrations and get beaten by the police. Another thing is if Mr Amarakoon is reading this you know the portion size of food in USA is big but in Sri Lanka the portion size is much bigger. So they can make two meals from one meal. Two meals are more than enough for , You don’t want three meals. So this talk about lack of food is nonsense. And also if you see the big stomachs of this demonstrators I cant see a shortage of food in Sri Lanka. Lazy lot