Mahinda vows to repeal new Inland Revenue Act
The Joint Opposition (JO) will set up a committee consisting of MPs to organise a series of protests against the new Inland Revenue Act, which took effect on Sunday, former President Mahinda Rajapaksa says.
Rajapaksa said the committee would be appointed once the no-confidence motion issue was over. He vowed to repeal that Act which, he said, was based on a foreign model.
The ex-President said the withholding tax on interest earned from fixed deposits and other savings had been increased from 2.5% to 5% and it would be a massive blow to a large number of Sri Lankans and especially retired people living on their savings.
“We have millions of pensioners dependent on interest income from their savings. They will be greatly affected. The government has done this at a time when we have to ensure that these people can fend for themselves instead of them becoming more dependent on their children,” he said.
Rajapaksa said that when a person sells a property, considered an investment asset, a tax of 10% ‘on the difference between sale value and market value’ would be charged.
“The government ministers live like kings and the people have to bear the burden,” Rajapaksa added.
(Source: The Island – By Norman Palihawadana)
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
congratulations you doing your best to keep this country going back to the stone age, we expect more from you now no confidence next protest rallies strikes, you will get enough of jobless stooges to attend to these kind of activities you organize as these guys have no idea to develop the country but only live for today, so please keep up the good work and drag the country to ruins
Its a nonsense act made by nonsense set of people.
This will create new method of keeping money without depositing in the bank. Black Money will start growing.
Foreign workers will find different ways of sending money. They will not deposit salary or their earnings in the banks.
I’m wondering what is the real intention behind this.