Man arrested at BIA with over 7 kg of gold worth Rs. 152.5 Million
Posted in Local News
An individual has been arrested today (May 08) at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) for attempting to smuggle around 7 kg of gold valued at around Rs. 152.5 million into the country.
The 43-year-old man, a resident of Colombo 10 arrived at the BIA from Dubai was arrested by Police Narcotic Bureau officers at the airport.
He had concealed the gold stocks around his waist. Officers have found 42 gold biscuits weighing 4 kilograms and 942 grams and gold jewellery weighing 2 kilograms and 54 grams from the suspect’s possession.
The passenger and the stock of contraband were handed over to the Airport Customs for further investigations.
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023