Mattala airport also closes its doors to Basil Rajapaksa
The immigration officials and staffers attached to the Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport (MRIA) decided to withdraw from services to prevent former minister Basil Rajapaksa from leaving the country through the Mattala airport.
The decision was taken to prevent the possibility of political VIPs using the channel to flee the country.
In order to prevent political dignitaries from leaving the country through the airport’s VIP terminal, Bandaranaike International Airport immigration officials decided to withdraw from VIP clearance operations today (July 12) from 12:00 AM.
According to this, the Sri Lanka Immigration and Emigration Officers’ Association says that VIP clearance will not be done at Mattala International Airport’s VIP Terminal.
Following reports that former Minister Basil Rajapaksa failed to leave the country through Katunayake Airport, the immigration officers and staff attached to the Mattala airport have taken this decision.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- U.S. Deputy Secretary of State commends Sri Lanka’s economic efforts February 23, 2024
- Nightlife will play a vital role in Sri Lanka’s economic growth and tourist experience February 23, 2024
- Moon landing today: US clinches first touchdown in 50 years February 23, 2024
- Johnston Fernando requests immediate probe into Sanath Nishantha’s death February 22, 2024
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024